‘Jannik Sinner has potential to be like Federer, Djokovic and Nadal’, says coach Riccardo Piatti
Coach Riccardo Piatti has compared the potential of his charge Jannik Sinner to that of the legendary trio of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal.
World No. 31 Sinner will face Hubert Hurkacz in the final of the Miami Open on Sunday. It will be the 19-year-old Italian’s first appearance in a Masters 1000 final.
“Roger Federer when he won Milan the first time is not the Roger Federer playing now and it’s the same for Djokovic and Rafa,” Piatti told ATPTour.com.
“They’re improving a lot and they are changing a lot. I think Jannik has this kind of potential.
“(This final is) an important moment, but not the last moment. It’s part of what he needs to do. I’m very happy that it came now, but the season is long and the process is long.
“Of course, (the goal is) winning Slams and becoming No. 1. I spoke with him already that I already had two players, Milos Raonic and Ivan Ljubicic No. 3.
“Now the goal is different. I want someone (to achieve) more and this project started many years ago. It is not just what is going to (happen) tomorrow (in the Miami Open final).”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner