‘I’ve improved since I played Rafa Nadal at Roland Garros’ – Jannik Sinner on Rome showdown
Jannik Sinner believes he is a better player now than when he lost to Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros last year, ahead of the pair’s clash in Rome.
The world No. 18 was beaten 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-1 by Nadal in the quarter-finals of the 2020 French Open in the only previous meeting between the players.
Sinner will face the 13-time Roland Garros winner in the second round of this week’s Italian Open after beating Ugo Humbert 6-2, 6-4 today.
“Well obviously, playing against Rafa here – especially on this surface – is never easy. I think everyone knows how good he is,” the 19-year-old Italian said in a post-match interview.
“I think I’ve played quite a comfortable or quite a good match in Roland Garros. Then some things changed. I think I’ve improved a little bit, obviously when you’re young you still can improve.
“At the end of the day, we practised quite a long time in Australia. So we know (each other) in some way quite well. I’m looking forward to it.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner