‘I’ve already achieved my dream’ – Belinda Bencic brings confidence to Cincinnati
Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Belinda Bencic is ready to get back to business in Cincinnati, but will face a repeat clash against finalist Marketa Vondrousova in round two.
The Swiss enjoyed an incredible run in Tokyo, now Bencic will hope to end 2021 with a couple more titles, starting in Cincinnati.
“Definitely a lot of people want to touch [the gold medal],” Bencic told reporters at Media Day ahead of the Western & Southern Open. “I can confirm that.
“For me, achieving this, it’s already amazing. If I stop my career tomorrow I can be very happy about everything.”
As Bencic gears up for US hard-court swing, she has took to reflect on what went so well in Tokyo and what lessons she can take into the rest of her career.
“I feel like all these things, the positive vibes, I didn’t think so much about the tennis. Before the match I was of course nervous, but I was very excited to play the first Olympics, to be able to call myself an Olympian.”
“For me, Olympics means so much. I’m not saying it because now after all I won it, but it’s really from the start.”
“I’ve always wondered how it is actually, when you have the match point in such an important Grand Slam or Olympic final. How do you even walk up to the line, finish it, and everything?”
“So now I actually know. I’ve heard a really good quote: when you always give luck a chance, go deep in important tournaments, then at some point maybe it will go for you, turn around for you.” she added.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner