Ana Ivanovic battles through to second French Open final
Ana Ivanovic is through to her second French Open final after beating fellow Serb and No.3 seed Jelena Jankovic 6-4 3-6 6-4 in the second semi-final. The 20-year-old will face Russian Dinara Safina in Saturday’s final.
While neither of this year’s semi finals will go down as a classic, the all-Serbian encounter proved to be the more anxious affair. Both Ana Ivanovic and Jankovic held the lead at some stage or other in each set before the other battled back, with Ivanovic emerging victorious in the final set, coming from 3-0 down to seal the match.
Jankovic was philosophical in defeat. Suffering from tendonitis in her arm during the tournament, the 23-year-old said, “I am very disappointed but I still cannot go and kill myself and put myself down.
“The year is still long. There are still two more grand slams, many big tournaments to play. I still have to work hard and believe in myself, and I will achieve my goal.”
20-year-old Ivanovic, who will be installed as the new world No.1 by virtue of reaching the final, struggled with her serve during the second set but moved up a gear after slipping behind in the third, and hit four winners in succession to break Jankovic in the final game.
“It was a very tough match – there were lots of ups and downs,” said a relieved Ivanovic. “I was just so happy to stay strong in the end and win the match.”
Despite two years her opponent’s junior, Ivanovic will go into Saturday’s final against 22-year-old Safina as the clear favourite, but the Russian entered the tournament as the Tour’s form player.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner