‘It’s like ice out there’ – Novak Djokovic wowed by Australian Open conditions
Novak Djokovic says the Australian Open courts are like ‘ice’ this year, adding they’re the fastest he has experienced in the tournament.
Djokovic beat Fances Tiafoe in a brilliant second round match on Wednesday, with the pair sharing 49 aces between them.
Afterwards, Djokovic gave a interview to Eurosport in which he discussed the condition of the Australian Open courts this year.
“Honestly, it’s like ice out there,” Djokovic said.
“I don’t know what they’ve done but the speed of the court has been the fastest in the last 15 years – the fastest I’ve ever experienced here at the Australian Open.
“I don’t know what the reason for that but it keeps getting faster and faster. You need to serve well, if you don’t, if you’re playing against someone that is solid, it’s tough to win matches on this court.
“I enjoy the fight. He gave his all. He was really playing at a very high level. He was not making unforced errors.
“He was just so solid. I couldn’t penetrate through that backhand corner. I had to change the pattern of play and I honestly wasn’t happy the way I played in the second and third (sets).
“I was passive and didn’t really feel great on the court, but I think the serve was getting me out of trouble. Credit to him, he played really well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner