It’s goodbye Venus as Carla rocks Rod Laver Arena
The bigger they are the harder they fall, they say, and Melbourne Park is still reverberating from the shockwaves caused by the exit of sixth seed Venus Williams.
The reigning Wimbledon champion was bundled out of the womens draw in the second round by little-known Spaniard Carlo Suarez Navarro on the Rod Laver Arena on Thursday.
Once the Melbourne Park crowd realised Suarez Navarros fighting qualities they got behind the underdog and screamed her on to a 2-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory.
Despite a wonderful second set, the 5ft 4 world No.46 looked down and out when she trailed Williams by 5-2 in the final set.
But she kept plugging away with her flowing topspin backhand and fought her way back into the match.
She held for 3-5, broke for 4-5 and held again to level at 5-all. The right-hander then played the biggest two games of her life to break again and coolly hold serve to 30 to wrap up an unlikely victory.
Suarez Navarro, who made the last eight at the French Open last year, goes on to play fellow Spaniard Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez for a place in the last 16.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner