‘It’s funny that I’m seeded higher than Rafa Nadal in Monte Carlo’, says Daniil Medvedev
World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev said it is funny that he is ranked higher than 11-time champion Rafael Nadal at this year’s Monte Carlo Masters.
The 24-year-old is seeded second at the Masters 1000 event, while world No. 3 Nadal is seeded third. Medvedev has won 10 titles on hard courts but is yet to win one on clay.
“I mean, it’s just funny because, well, I’m not the best clay court player, but I’m seeded higher than him (Nadal) in Monte Carlo – which he won maybe 10 times, maybe more, I’m not sure,” Medvedev said in a pre-tournament press conference.
“Yeah, it’s probably not going to mean anything during the tournament, but let’s see.”
View this post on Instagram
The Russian added on playing on clay: “I’m not hiding this, I don’t like clay. I’m not going to South America, although I like to travel.
“I would like to go there once in my life, of course. But I’m not going to go there instead of Rotterdam, Marseille or Dubai. I’m not going to play on clay in South America during that time.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner