‘It’s complicated’ – Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem defended for skipping Miami
David Goffin has defended Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem over their decision to skip the Miami Open this year to focus on the clay season.
Both players announced their decisions on Tuesday, saying they preferred to stay in Europe to prepare for the red dirt.
That has drawn criticism in some quarters, given Miami is a Masters level event, but Goffin believes the cancellation of Indian Wells has left Miami isolated in the calendar this year and ‘complicated’ for players from a scheduling point of view.
“Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem are already thinking about clay, which is their most significant goal of the year,” he said.
“I understand their decision. A 19-hour flight for just one tournament? It’s complicated.
“But I will play in Miami, it’s still the Masters 1000, and you have to be there.”
Nadal’s decision mirrors the one he took last year to skip the US Open to make sure he was ready for the clay season, and it proved to be a good one given he dominated Roland Garros perhaps even more than ever before.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner