‘It’s an unbelievable level’ ATP star full of praise for Djokovic
Daniil Medvedev has praised the ‘unbelievable level’ that Djokovic has produced so far in 2021, but believes the pressure of winning a 20th Grand Slam may cost him.
A sixth Wimbledon win for Djokovic would see him go level with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on 20 Majors. The Serb is also eyeing the Golden Slam, and becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four Grand Slams in the same year.
With Djokovic on the verge of creating history, Medvedev – who won the title in Mallorca earlier this week thinks the pressure on the Serb may cause him to slip up.
“I think Wimbledon, Olympics, and US Open can be fun to watch Novak play because he’s going to put everything on himself to try to make it. That’s when he’s strongest. At the same time that’s a lot of pressure. We’re going to try to use it in our advantage.” the World No. 2 said.
When talking about Djokovic’s form in 2021 so far, Medvedev said:
“It’s an unbelievable level. I mean, he’s semi-final and final of Roland Garros. I didn’t watch the matches full. I saw some parts of them. It’s just unbelievable.
To beat Rafa in Roland Garros, then to come back from two sets to love down in the final against Stefanos [Tsitsipas], who was I heard playing an unbelievable level of tennis, is something special.”
Medvedev will get his 2021 Wimbledon campaign underway on Tuesday against Jan-Lennard Struff.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner