‘It’s a pretty selfish decision. The calendar is going to suffer’, says Alize Cornet on Roland Garros postponement
Alize Cornet has criticised the decision to postpone Roland Garros by a week because of the impact it will have on the tennis calendar.
It was reported by L’Equipe on Wednesday that French Open organisers have agreed to a one-week delay, after French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu had said a postponement was possible.
World No. 59 Cornet is playing at the WTA 500 event in Charleston this week. After beating seventh seed Elise Mertens 7-5, 6-3 to reach the third round, the 31-year-old Frenchwoman was asked to give her reaction to the report.
“I didn’t know. Our (French) sport minister is a disaster. Sorry, I’m sorry. I have nothing against her, but she only takes bad decisions for sports, like she doesn’t care,” Cornet told Tennis Channel.
“I know it comes from the government, I’m pretty sure. It might come also from the tournament because I heard that they might have more people if they postpone for one week.
“But still, I think it’s a pretty selfish decision to be honest because the calendar is going to suffer from this postponement. That’s my first reaction.
— Alize Cornet (@alizecornet) April 7, 2021
“I understand it’s not an easy time for the tournament, but we have to think about the players and the calendar and all the tournaments they have to try to fit in this calendar.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner