‘It’s a complete disaster’ – Spanish star blasts Australian Open quarantine conditions
Roberto Bautista Agut has likened quarantine in Melbourne to prison ahead of the Australian Open, describing the situation as a ‘complete disaster.’
The Spanish star is usually one of the most measured speakers on the ATP Tour, but he was in no mood to hide his anger during an interview with an Israeli television channel.
Speaking from his hotel room, he Bautista Agut also blasted those who have been criticising players for complaining about the conditions ahead of the Australian Open.
“It’s the same, it’s the same,” he said when the interviewer told him he looked like he was in prison.
“These people have no idea about tennis, about practice courts, no idea about anything.
“It’s a complete disaster because of that, because of the control of everything.”
“It’s not Tennis Australia, it’s the people from the government,” he said.
‘You can work in the room but it’s not the same. I feel very, very tight and I cannot imagine staying two weeks like this.
“It’s really, really tough. I will have to work a lot mentally.”
The Australian Open is due to begin on February 8.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner