‘It’s a bronze medal, but it feels like gold,’ says Pablo Carreno Busta
Pablo Carreno Busta says his bronze medal feels like gold after beating world number one Novak Djokovic to claim third spot.
The Spaniard, who came into the bronze medal match as a huge underdog, withstood a Novak Djokovic fightback to win in three sets 6-4 6-7 6-3 in two hours and 48 minutes.
The World No. 11 had a tough run en route to the bronze medal, beating the top two seeds in Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev to earn the first Spanish men’s singles medal since Rafael Nadal won gold in 2008.
Following the match, the emotional Spaniard said it’s the best title of his career despite not winning Olympic gold.
“It’s a bronze medal, but for me it’s like a gold. I haven’t won the tournament, but it’s the best title of my career,” said Carreno Busta.
“I think this is my biggest achievement. It’s incredible. After yesterday’s loss I felt people’s love & support & I had to give my all. I’ve been able to overcome losing 2nd set thanks to all the support. It’s just bronze but I gave my all.”
Tus lagrimas no son de bronce. ¡SON DE ORO!
— Eurosport.es (@Eurosport_ES) July 31, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner