‘It would mean a lot to me’ – Carlos Alcaraz on possible Rafa Nadal clash at Madrid Open
Carlos Alcaraz said he is “growing up fast” and it “means a lot” to have the chance to meet his idol Rafael Nadal at the Madrid Open.
The 17-year-old Spaniard is playing at the ATP Masters 1000 tournament as a wildcard and could play 20-time Grand Slam winner Nadal for the first time.
“Well, I am growing up so fast. But every training, every match, every moment that I spend in the tournaments, in this league – I enjoy,” Alcaraz told ATP Tennis TV.
“I try to still improve. I try not to be nervous and yeah, growing up. I enjoy playing here in Spain, knowing that the people are supporting me everywhere and every time. So for me, it’s amazing to play here in Spain.”
If Alcaraz beats Adrian Mannarino in the first round, he will face top seed and five-time Madrid Open champion Nadal.
“It means a lot to me to (potentially) be able to play against Rafa, but I have to win one match against a great player,” the world No. 120 added.
“So let’s see what happens, and let’s see if I could win.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner