‘It would be amazing to win Grand Slam race, but I won’t obsess,’ says Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal has admitted it would be ‘amazing’ to finish his career with more Grand Slams than anyone, but he won’t obsess over it.
Nadal is currently tied with Roger Federer for the most career Slams on 20, although with the Swiss star’s best days now behind him, Nadal is expected to move ahead of his long-time rival soon.
Novak Djokovic is three behind on 17, and he will definitely move himself into the reckoning as well, but Nadal says he has his eyes firmly on the prize.
“Of course it would be amazing for me to win one more and at the end of my career be the player with the most Grand Slams, but I know that will not be the key for my happiness in the future,” Nadal told CNN.
“Thanks to tennis, I was able to travel to places I never expected, meet a lot of people and in terms of tennis, I always try to try my best every single day and to be a better player.
“Go everyday on the practice court with a goal to improve something and that’s my approach to my tennis career.
“I have never been obsessed with trying to be the best, I just focus on trying to give my best in every single moment.
“The main thing is to come back home after every season and say: ‘I’m proud, I did everything I could’.
“Honestly, I did much more that I ever dreamed in my tennis career.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner