‘It was amazing’ – Serena Williams dumped out of French Open after defeat to Elena Rybakina
Elena Rybakina produced a career best performance to defeat Serena Williams and book her place in the French Open last eight.
It’s Rybakina’s second French Open and she will play Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in her first quarter-final. “I’m really happy with this match and how the tournament is going. I’m just trying to do my best and prepare for the next match.” Rybakina said in her post-match interview.
The 21-year-old surrendered a 4-1 lead in the opening set, but secured a late break to take the opening set 6-3.
Both players traded breaks in the second set as Williams stepped it up, however the young Kazakh produced a stunning return game at 5-5 to break the Williams serve, before serving it out for the biggest win of her career.
“Yes I’m so happy with my match today. It was amazing and thank you so much for coming and watching today.”
“Of course I was nervous, even in the last game I was not serving well. I’m happy I was able to control my thoughts and win today.”
Rybakina will play Pavlyuchenkova on Tuesday in the last eight in Paris.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner