‘It was a good start,’ says Rafael Nadal after dominant Monte-Carlo opener
Rafael Nadal said he played a ‘solid match’ as he opened his Monte-Carlo Masters campaign with a typically dominant win.
The King of Clay came up against Federico Delbonis on Wednesday, and easily overpowered the qualifier 6-1, 6-2.
Nadal was rarely troubled throughout, and showed no signs of the back injury that plagued him at the start of the year at the Australian Open.
“It was a good start and it’s always good to come back to the competition with the victory,” Nadal said.
“I think I played a solid match and I had to keep going. I had some positive feelings.
“We have been playing against each other for a long time so we know each other well.
“I have respect for every opponent and of course for Federico it is no exception.
“He played some amazing matches on clay, winning tournaments, so maximum respect.”
Rafael Nadal can now expect a much sterner test in round three when he comes up against Grigor Dimitrov, who beat Jeremy Chardy 7-6, 6-4.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner