‘It was a good showing’ – Former world number one impressed with Rafael Nadal opener
Mats Wilander was impressed with the star Rafael Nadal made to his Australian Open campaign on Tuesday.
Nadal came into the match with very little build-up after being forced to miss the whole ATP Cup with a lower back injury.
It was his first competitive match since the ATP Finals in November, and he looked in good shape as he beat Serbian Laslo Djere in straight sets.
“Rafa was playing extremely aggressive,” Eurosport analyst Wilander explained.
“He was playing very quick during the point, between the points, we know this is something he has been trying to do lately in his career to try and shorten the points as much as possible.
“The surface makes him play a little closer to the baseline, especially on the return games. It was a good showing.
“It was a tough match, Laszlo Djere is a very solid player and plays with a very similar style to Novak Djokovic so a great first round match for Rafa Nadal to get.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner