‘It means a lot to equal my great rival and friend Roger Federer’ – Rafa Nadal on Grand Slam record
Rafael Nadal described equalling Roger Federer’s record of 20 Grand Slams last year as “something very special after all the history we have had together”.
The 34-year-old won his 20th major to tie Federer at the 2020 French Open, and won the Laureus world sportsman of the year award yesterday.
Nadal has shared one of the great tennis rivalries with the 39-year-old Swiss – winning 24 of their 40 meetings to date going back to 2004.
“Winning the French Open and equalling the 20th Grand Slam of Roger Federer has been an unforgettable moment,” Nadal said on winning the award on Instagram.
“It means a lot to equal my great rival, but at the same time, my great friend. It’s something very special after all the history we have had together on and off court.
“The pandemic that we are facing is something unprecedented and I want to send a message of support to all the families that have suffered or lost somebody.”
View this post on Instagram
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner