‘It is hotter and faster’, Dominic Thiem compares Dubai conditions to Doha
US Open champion Dominic Thiem begins his campaign at the Dubai Tennis Championships against Lloyd Harris on Tuesday.
The world No. 4 and top seed received a bye into the second round of the ATP 500 event, while Harris beat Christopher O’Connell in the first round. Thiem is playing in Dubai for the first time since 2015.
The 27-year-old Austrian played at the Qatar Open ATP 250 event in Doha last week – where he was defeated by Roberto Bautista Agut in the quarter-finals.
“Since Saturday I have been preparing for my second tournament in the sheikhdom in the desert, the conditions are definitely slightly different: It is hotter in Dubai, the courts are faster as well,” said Thiem in a post on his website.
… the conditions are definitely slightly different: It is hotter in Dubai, the courts are faster as well. I can’t wait for my first match …https://t.co/8Mh9obml0f
— Dominic Thiem (@ThiemDomi) March 16, 2021
“I can’t wait for my first match against the South African Lloyd Harris, who has had two highlights so far this year.
“At the Australian Open Lloyd reached the third round, and now recently in Doha he beat Stan Warwrinka in three sets. I feel warned – I need to be careful!
“My practice sessions of the last days have been good, I played a couple of sets, played a lot of points. Basically I like it in the desert. I gained some new experiences.
“The hotels are right next to the venue, the distances are short, the weather couldn’t be any better – taking it all in it’s really comfortable. Doha and Dubai could be a nice alternative to going to South America in the future.
“I am really happy about my reunion with my coach. Nicolas Massu and I haven’t seen each other since the ATP Finals in London last November.
“On court we immediately felt harmonious, he truly is an important part of my team. Now we are working intensively so we can hopefully celebrate victories together soon.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner