‘It is a fast court. I like to play on it’, says Richard Gasquet after 550th career win
Richard Gasquet became the sixth active player to win 550 ATP matches after beating Marco Cecchinato in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Championships.
The world No. 49 joined Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Fernando Verdasco in the exclusive club of current players to reach the milestone.
The 34-year-old Frenchman defeated Cecchinato 6-4, 6-2, and will next face Hubert Hurkacz in the second round of the ATP 500 event on Tuesday.
“I am feeling great here. I know this court well. I played well (here) last year. It is a fast court. I like to play on it,” Gasquet said in his on-court interview.
“It is important to serve well and it was a great match. I started well, feeling confident and winning the first set and then I played better in the second set.
“It’s been a difficult start (to the year), I need confidence. I need to feel better on court, to be healthy. Last week (in Doha), I couldn’t finish the tournament. Couldn’t play in Australia, so it’s very difficult for me.
“I’m trying my best to recover, and then when I will be fit I think I can play very well, but for the moment I need to work on it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner