‘It has betrayed me many times’ – Stefanos Tsitsipas explains his blueprint to reach the top
Stefanos Tsitsipas has presented an astonishing list of faults in his game that ‘betray’ him and has vowed to fix them all.
The Greek star has had a fine start to his career, and is the reigning ATP Finals champion.
He is also the first player to reach two Grand Slam semi-finals before the age of 23 in 11 years since Juan Martin del Potro achieved it in 2009.
However, following his loss to Novak Djokovic in the French Open last week, he gave a savage appraisal of his game – but only when compared to the ‘perfection’ he is seeking.
“There are many things I have to work on,” Tsitsipas said.
“Many times my shots land too short, I feel like I need to play much more aggressively and put pressure on the opponent.
“My backhand needs a lot of work, many hours practice, so that is can become one of my biggest weapons.
“It has betrayed me many times and if I sit down to work on it and get my head together to fix it, improve the changes of direction, I think it can help me reach new heights and win titles.
“There are always things you can improve.
“And my serve needs work. For my height, I think I have a good serve, but you can get close to perfection.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner