‘It brings joy to the tennis community and players’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas on Federer return
Stefanos Tsitsipas has spoken of the joy that the comeback of Roger Federer has brought him and the tennis community, after reaching the Marseille quarter-finals.
Swiss legend Federer returned after a 13-month injury absence at the Qatar Open in Doha – where he fell to Nikoloz Basilashvili in the quarter-finals.
Tsitsipas will play Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the last eight in Marseille – where he is aiming to win a third straight title – on Friday
After defeating Lucas Pouille in the second round of the ATP 250 event, the world No. 5 said on Federer: “He played well (against Basilashvili), although he lost.
“I think for him it’s important to get a few more matches. Eventually I feel like he is going to get back on his feet and find his way, follow through.
“It just takes a few matches more, but I’m really happy for him that he’s back. It brings not just joy to the tennis community, but to the tennis players, too.
“Roger is also a source of inspiration. I think it helps also with many aspects of my game.
“It’s nice seeing him play so I can kind of compare, although I’ll never be able to reach his level. But I still feel it’s something that I can look up to and admire, which is really nice.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner