Instant expert: Agnes Szavay
Originally published on: 24/09/10 10:08
DOB: December 29, 1988
Born: Kiskunhalas, Hungary
Height: 5ft 7in
Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
1) Don’t tell kit sponsor Fila, but the 21-year-old Hungarian has a soft spot for Nike’s finest. Lance Armstrong is her favourite athlete, while Roger Federer – “a real sportsman” – is her tennis idol.
2) While four of her five titles have come on clay, Szavay is equally adept on a hard court as she proved in 2007, when – aged 18 – she defeated then-world No.3 Jelena Jankovic to claim victory at the China Open.
3) Initially coached and managed by her parents after taking up the game at the age of six, Szavay is currently the protégé of Karl-Heinz
4) Szavay impressed on the junior circuit, winning both the singles and doubles titles at Roland Garros and the Wimbledon girls’ doubles crown alongside Victoria Azarenka in 2005.
5) Agnes has two siblings, student-brother Levente and 16-year-old sister Blanka, who is following in the footsteps of big sis and is competing on the junior circuit.