Indian Wells postponed but ATP release packed schedule for start of 2021
Indian Wells have postponed their 2021 edition, although there will be no shortage of tennis in the early part of the year.
The event is usually held in early March, but it was the first tournament to fall victim to the coronavirus earlier this year when they cancelled on the eve of the tournament.
There were hopes it could go ahead as normal in 2021, but with Covid continuing to wreak havoc in California, it will look to reschedule for later in the year.
“The BNP Paribas Open will not be held March 8-21, 2021 as originally scheduled,” officials at Indian Wells said in a statement.
“The tournament is proactively working with the ATP and WTA Tours as well as title sponsor BNP Paribas to confirm dates later in the year to hold the event. Details will be released in the near future as plans are finalised.
“This decision was made after thorough consultation with state and local health authorities and tournament owner Larry Ellison.”
Updated ATP Calendar:
20-28 February 2021: Cordoba Open (ATP 250)
21-28 February 2021: Open Sud de France Montpellier (ATP 250)
27 February-7 March 2021: ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament Rotterdam (ATP 500)
27 February-7 March 2021: Argentina Open Buenos Aires (ATP 500)
6-13 March 2021: Qatar Exxonmobil Open (ATP 250)
7-14 March 2021: Open 13 Provence, Marseille (ATP 250)
13-20 March 2021: Abierto Mexicano Teicel Acapulco (ATP 500)
13-20 March 2021: Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships (ATP 500)22 March-4 April 2021: Miami Open (ATP Masters 1000)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner