‘In general, I am very happy,’ says Dominic Thiem after strong Australian Open start
Dominic Thiem described himself as ‘very happy’ to come through his Australian Open first round match against Mikhail Kukushkin.
The US Open champion, who reached the final in Melbourne a year ago, overcame Kukushkin in straight sets 7-6, 6-2, 6-3.
It wasn’t always as straightforward as the score suggested for Thiem though, with him having to save a set point early on.
However, once he got his nose in front, Thiem started to quickly go through the gears before finishing very strongly.
“It’s interesting because it’s the first time I’ve met him and there’s not too many I didn’t meet on tour,” said Thiem of Kukushkin.
“He’s very experienced and the first set was super-challenging.”
“But, in general, I’m very happy to be back and have success in the first round.”
Dominik Keopfer or Hugo Dellien await for Thiem in round two, with Nick Kyrgios a potential third-round opponent.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner