‘I’m very, very happy’ – Zidansek outlasts Badosa in epic French Open quarter-final
Tamara Zidansek was delighted with her win as she reached her first ever Grand Slam semi-final, with an epic win against Paula Badosa.
The Slovenian defeated Spaniard Bardosa 7-5, 4-6, 8-6 in a terrific battle that lasted two hours and 29 minutes.
The No. 85 recovered from 0-3 to steal the opening set 7-5. Zidansek led 4-2 in the second set, before Badosa fought her way back into the match, forcing a decider after winning the second set 6-4. A marathon final set ended with the Slovenian firing a forehand winner to take it 8-6.
“I’m really, really happy. Thank you to everyone that came out and supported me. Thank you to my team, you’re amazing.” Zidansek said in her on-court interview.
“I knew before the match it was going to be a tough battle, I was a set and 4-2 up then Paula came back. I was struggling a little bit but then in the third set I managed to get in my groove, feeling better and I was fighting really well.”
World No. 85 Tamara Zidansek had previously never reached R3 at a major. She’s now a Grand Slam *semi-finalist* with a 7-5, 4-6, 8-6 takedown of No.33 seed Paula Badosa. #RolandGarros pic.twitter.com/ef0xgCQgsN
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 8, 2021
“I will rest and watch the quarter-finals. I have some recovery, but I’ll look at the match too.”
The 23-year-old hit 48 winners and 39 unforced errors, while winning 60% of her first serve points.
She will play either Kazakh Elena Rybakina or World No. 32 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in the last four.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner