‘I’m very happy with my game,’ says Stefanos Tsitsipas after third round win
Stefanos Tsitsipas admitted he is very happy with his game after cruising to a straight sets victory over Swede Mikael Ymer.
The World No 6 won a tight first set against his hitting partner before coming through the following two sets very comfortably behind closed doors on John Cain Arena.
The pair, who often faced one another at junior level, had to put their friendship aside during their third round battle, with Tsitsipas defeating the Swede 6-4 6-1 6-1.
Speaking after the match, Stefanos Tsitsipas admitted it took some time to adjust to the John Cain Arena, though is very satisfied with his current level of tennis heading into the fourth round.
He said: “It took some time for me to get used to the new conditions on John Cain but I’m very happy with my game.
“I think I showed a good quality of tennis today. Mike is someone that I’ve known for a long time and it’s quite important for me to have battles like this against him and for the next generation of tennis as well. All of us have been working really hard to get where we are today.”
The Greek star will now face either Matteo Berrettini or Karen Khachanov in the fourth round on Monday.
“They are both great opponents, I’ve played them in the past. I am going to have to be prepared for something difficult, a difficult ask – it doesn’t matter who out of the two wins,” Tsitsipas said.
“They both share a similar game style and both have spent a fair amount [of time] in the top 10 so they are good players, I’m expecting a fight.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner