‘I’m very excited to be back,’ says Roger Federer as he nears return to action
Roger Federer says he is ‘very excited to be back’ in a message to fans as he made his way to Doha.
It has been a long road back to the tennis court for Federer, who last played over a year ago at the 2020 Australian Open.
He has required two operations to correct a long-standing knee issue during that time, but the wait is now nearly over with him due to play Doha next week.
“It’s been a year since my last travel to any event and I’m very excited,” Federer said in a video released on social media.
“This is the moment where I could maybe thank all the people involved who made this possible.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) March 5, 2021
“It’s been a long and hard road. I know I’m not at the finish line yet, but it’s good. I feel like I’m in a good place, I’ve been practising very well.
“Hope you guys also are going to tune in to watch it and I hope I see you again very soon. Take care everybody.”
Meanwhile, Federer will drop out of the worlds top five for the first time in five years on Monday after Stefanos Tsitsipas reached the semi-finals in Rotterdam.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner