‘I’m trying to get close to tennis legends’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas after beating Aslan Karatsev in Monte Carlo
Stefanos Tsitsipas described his win against Aslan Karatsev in Monte Carlo as a “beautiful game” and said he is working to get close to the legends of tennis.
The Greek star triumphed 6-3, 6-4 against the world No. 29 in the second round of the ATP Masters 1000 tournament. World No. 5 and fourth seed Tsitsipas had received a first round bye, while 27-year-old Karatsev defeated wildcard Lorenzo Musetti in his opening match.
After saving break points in the opening game, the 22-year-old broke Karatsev for 3-1 and served strongly to seal the first set. Tsitsipas then broke for 2-1 in the second set and – after saving break points in the next game – remained unbroken to close the match out.
“I knew I had to face a difficult opponent today. Aslan has (had some) great results this year,” Tsitsipas said in his post-match interview.
“I managed to push him back and attack with my forehand. Things worked out pretty well for me.
“My clay court experience helps a lot to come back each year stronger, knowing that I have done better before. It was a very beautiful game out there and I enjoyed it.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 13, 2021
“I’m putting (in) hours on the court, trying to become consistent, (and) get close to the legends of our sport. I am working every single day. I am very far from that, but it is definitely a dream of mine that I want to achieve one day.”
Tsitsipas will face either Cristian Garin or John Millman in the third round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner