‘I’m overwhelmed. I wasn’t dreaming of winning’ – Iga Swiatek on Italian Open triumph
Iga Swiatek said she “wouldn’t even dream” of winning the Italian Open earlier this week after destroying Karolina Pliskova in Sunday’s final.
The 19-year-old Pole blew away the ninth seed 6-0, 6-0 in a remarkable 46-minute display in the WTA 1000 title match.
The world No. 15 crucially saved two match points in edging past Barbora Krejcikova 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5 in the third round.
“I’m really really happy. I’m kind of overwhelmed because at the beginning of this tournament I wouldn’t even dream of winning,” Swiatek said in her interview during the trophy presentation.
Simply. Not. Missing.
— wta (@WTA) May 16, 2021
“It was super tough, we had to fight a lot of stuff but I’m really happy. Karolina had a great run here and in previous years she showed that she’s really consistent player.
“I think everything happened during that week. I was saving set points, saving match points, so I think you (the crowd) helped me a lot. You know, it’s tough.”
Swiatek will defend her title at Roland Garros – which will run from May 30 to June 13. She won the 2020 event without dropping a set.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner