‘I’m not going to make any controversy,’ promises Paire in response to Nadal criticisms
Benoit Paire has promised to not make any controversy after being criticised for his recent comments by Toni Nadal.
The Frenchman has made no secret of his unhappiness with the Covid restrictions and reduced prize money on the ATP Tour right now, and openly tanked in Argentina earlier this month.
He followed that up by saying all he wants to do right now is lose as early as possible in tournaments and get out of the bio-secure bubbles, as the prize money is not worth his effort.
“All this does tennis poorly,” Toni Hadal, who is the uncle and former coach of 20-time Grand Slam winner Rafael Nadal, said about Paire’s recent comments.
“These statements are not correct. He would have done better to keep that to himself because it tarnishes the image of tennis.
“What is not normal is not to fight. There is very little value given to effort lately.”
Paire, though, has responded directly to Nadal, and appears to be in a much more complaint mood than usual.
Je vais faire aucune polémique.. je respecte énormément Toni Nadal pour la personne qu il est et ce qu il a apporté au tennis..
— paire benoit (@benoitpaire) March 25, 2021
“I am not going to make any controversy,” he tweeted.
“I respect Toni Nadal a lot for the person he is and what he has brought to tennis.”
Paire, who is the 23rd seed in Miami, will face exciting Italian teenager Lorenzo Musetti on the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner