“I’m happy to be involved in tennis again,” says former star Nalbandian
David Nalbandian, the former world number three, has become Miomir Kecmanovic’s coach on a trial basis for the Latin American swing.
The 21-year-old Serbian world number 41, a rising star in the next generation, has hired Nalbandian for an initial interim period beginning at the Cordoba Open, Argentina, this week.
“It means a lot to me to have David with me now. He was one of the best of his generation and his experience could really help me a lot,” Kecmanovic explained to ATPTour.com. “I watched him play for many months on television. I remember a lot of his matches, seeing them on YouTube, when he beat the Big Three. That was incredible.
“I hope to be able to work with him a lot. He’s already mentioned some ideas to me. I hope to go far this week, but it’s important to learn, to be able to progress and we’ll gradually change and the results will take care of themselves.”
Nalbandian, 39, reached the 2002 Wimbledon final, won the Tennis Masters Cup in 2005, and is the only Argentinian in history to reach the semi-finals or better at all four Grand Slams. The former Davis Cup player is returning to tennis for the first time since his retirement in 2013.
“I’m happy to be involved in tennis again in some way, being with Miomir and trying to contribute and help with what they need and for him to grow as a player,” Nalbandian said.
“These days before the tournament we have to try and find some good feelings [so that you] feel comfortable and enjoy yourself. We’ll take it bit by bit, gradually adding more, better things.
“He’s a young boy with good potential and I’ll try to improve him as a player. It’s a way of trying a few weeks out, in Cordoba, Buenos Aires and Santiago and then we’ll look at the schedule.”
Kecmanovic, the third seed, opens his account in Cordoba against Brazilian qualifier Juan Manuel Cerundolo.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner