‘I’m feeling good’ – In-form Daniil Medvedev issues Australian Open warning
Daniil Medvedev is up and running at the Australian Open after crushing Vasek Pospisil in straight sets on Tuesday.
The world number four, who has won the Paris Masters, ATP Finals, and ATP Cup in his last three tournaments, was in dominant mood on Margaret Court Arena, winning 6-2, 6-2, 6-4.
It extends Medvedev’s impressive winning streak to 15 matches, with 14 of them coming against opponents who were sitting in the top ten at the time.
“To be honest, it was good not to lose any matches (at the ATP Cup) but on the other hand, we played on Sunday and had a lot of matches against tough opponents,” Medvedev said.
“I’m really happy that I finished fast today. I was a bit nervous because it’s first match of first Grand Slam of the year, so I started a bit tight.
“But I could come back really fast and I started to control the match, so I’m really happy with this.
“I didn’t know how it would be physically but I managed to finish it fast and I’m feeling good.
“I knew I had to go out and win the match because that’s my job.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner