‘I’m confident!’ – Dennis Shapovalov backs himself to down Novak Djokovic in Melbourne
Dennis Shapovalov has confidently warned Novak Djokovic he is ‘playing excellent tennis’ ahead of their ATP Cup match this week.
Shapovalov will provide the opposition as Djokovic opens Serbia’s defence of the title they won in the inaugural event last year.
They also faced each other in the tournament 12 months ago, with Shapovalov winning the first set before Djokovic powered to victory.
However, despite that defeat, the Canadian thinks he is capable of causing an early ATP Cup upset this year.
“I think it’s exciting,” Shapovalov said of his match against Djokovic. “I had a great match against Novak last year. I feel confident.
“I feel like I’m playing excellent tennis in practice. Of course, it’s the start of the season, so there are not many expectations.
“You go out there and see where your level is. It’s enjoyable to be back out here playing, competing, especially with this group of guys.
“It’s events like this that I enjoy the most.”
Djokovic and Shapovalov have played each other five times so far with the Serbian winning all of them.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner