‘I’m close to the end of my career but I want one last push,’ admits Stan Wawrinka
Stan Wawrinka has admitted the end of his career is getting ever closer, but he feels he has one last big push in him.
The three-time Grand Slam champion underwent serious knee surgery in 2018 and has been fighting his way back to his best ever since.
At 35-years-old, it is likely his best days are behind him regardless, but Wawrinka says he still feels able to achieve big things.
“I’m close to the end of my career, but I also believe I have one last push that I really want to, again, one more time push myself to the limit, make the sacrifice that you need to make to be at my top, and I’m trying to do that,” Wawrinka said.
“I’m going to try to even push it more during the off-season and see what next year bring.”
The Swiss has had another solid season and will once again end it inside the top twenty, but he feels he can aim for more next year.
“I started the new year really well, and then we were in lockdown for many months,” he said.
“Again, as I say, I think in general I’m playing well.
“I’m feeling good, but not yet at the maximum I feel, and I’m going to take the next few weeks to try to push it for next year.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner