‘I’m afraid I’m just lucky,’ says Andrey Rublev as reveals breakthrough fears
Andrey Rublev says he worries he might just be ‘lucky’ to have had the results he has in recent months, but that fear drives him.
The Russian has been in brilliant form since the resumption of tennis following the coronavirus pause, and he would be world number three right now if not for the emergency rankings system.
Despite that rise, Rublev admits that he is having difficulty accepting himself as a top player.
“I want to be better and better,” Rublev said ahead of the Miami Masters. “It’s not about what I’m doing now or what I did. It’s about that I want to keep doing this for a long term. I want to keep being better.
“I’m afraid that I’m just maybe lucky, that maybe I’m not good enough.
So that’s why I want to keep working to be able to see if I can keep playing the same way, on the same level for a while.”
“It’s this kind of fear that it’s not enough. Fear that I’m not going to make it or fear that I’m not going to be good enough for a while.
“In the end, this fear helped me to improve, and that’s why I want to improve and improve.
“Also maybe because if I do one mistake, I want to repeat to make it perfect. I need to have everything perfect.
“This is a bit of a sick mentality, but in the end, for the moment, it [has] helped me.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner