Iga Swiatek wins first Grand Slam title after straight sets win over Sofia Kenin at Roland Garros
Polish teenager Iga Swiatek has won her first Grand Slam title, beating Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin at Roland Garros.
The unseeded Swiatek won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1 against American Kenin, who was suffering with a leg injury throughout.
Even before the medical time out in the second set, though, Swiatek was the better player and always looked a worthy winner.
She has become the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles title in tennis, and she dropped a total of just 28 games in her seven matches in the tournament.
“I don’t know what’s going on,” Swiatek said on court after the match. “I am so happy.
“I’m so glad that my family is here finally. I don’t know, it’s so overwhelming for me. It’s crazy.
“Two years ago, I won junior Grand Slam and now I’m here. It feels like such a short time so I’m just overwhelmed, but thank you all for cheering.
“It was an amazing final.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner