‘If Serena Williams had any decency, she’d retire,’ says Madrid Open chief in astonishing attack
Ion Tiriac has launched another deplorable attack on WTA legend Serena Williams, saying she should retire.
It is not the first time the Romanian has taken aim at Williams with misogynistic comments, and he went on the offensive again when appearing on TV in his homeland this week.
“At this age and the weight she is now, she does not move as easily as he did 15 years ago,” Tiriac said of Serena Williams.
“Serena was a sensational player. If she had a little decency, she would retire! From all points of view.”
Tiriac criticised Williams for her weight in 2018, with the 23-time Grand Slam champion firing back soon afterwards.
“I always say people are entitled to their opinion,” Williams said in response.
“Clearly there’s more to women’s tennis than me. There’s a lot more, but I’ll have words with him, believe me, I’ll have words with him.
“It’s an ignorant comment, and it’s a sexist comment, and maybe he’s an ignorant man.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner