‘I will never forget beating Novak,’ says Dan Evans after remarkable run
A week that Dan Evans will never forget came to an abrupt end after a straight sets defeat at the hands of Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Despite a comprehensive 6-2 6-1 defeat to the Greek, Evans was delighted with his run in Monte Carlo, which included victories over World No 1 Novak Djokovic, Miami Open winner Hubert Hurkacz and former Top 10 star David Goffin.
“It’s been a good week. It’s been pretty long. It’s been mentally pretty draining. Obviously you can’t say it’s bad to beat the world number one, but it was a lot,” said Dan Evans after the Tsitsipas defeat.
“Today was difficult. Obviously it doesn’t help the way he [Tsitsipas] plays. He’s very aggressive. So there’s still work to be done. I can’t be negative about today. Just have to park that and go again really.
“It’s been a great week. I won’t ever forget beating Novak, the world number one. Yesterday to back it up in a great match was good as well.”
The 30-year-old will now equal his career-high ranking of 26 and despite his difficulties on clay in recent years, the Brit has shown he can compete against the world’s best.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner