‘I will need to be more aggressive,’ says Dan Evans ahead of semi-final
Dan Evans has vowed to play a more aggressive style against Stefanos Tsitsipas in the semi-final of the Monte Carlo Masters.
Evans, who has made no attempt to hide his dislike of the clay surface, has put together one of the best runs of his career to reach his first Masters 1000 semi-final.
The Brit dispatched World No 1 Novak Djokovic before coming through a gruelling encounter against David Goffin to set up a semi-final meeting with the Greek star.
Despite another impressive display against Goffin, Evans refused to get ahead of himself and admitted he will need to adopt a different style to overcome Tsitsipas.
“It wasn’t my best display [against Goffin], I got dragged a bit too far back. I know Tim Henman is in the studio now, he’s probably telling everyone in the studio I should be serve-volleying. It was good to come through in the end. I feel I’ve served pretty well.
“Tsitsipas has handed it to me the last two times we’ve played. I will need to change some things and play a bit more aggressive, that’s the only way I can play.
“If I get dragged behind [the baseline] like today – with all due respect to David, Stefanos will come in more and knock the volleys off a bit better. I need to be the one doing that.”
Following his unexpected yet hugely impressive run in Monte Carlo, Dan Evans will equal and possibly surpass his career-high ranking of World No 26.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner