‘I will need my best tennis,’ says Rafael Nadal ahead of Novak Djokovic contest
Rafael Nadal says he hopes he can continue his ‘positive week’ in Rome by beating Novak Djokovic in Sunday’s Rome Masters final.
The Spaniard has looked seriously impressive this week, winning tight matches against quality players such as Jannik Sinner, Denis Shapovalov and Alexander Zverev.
On Saturday he beat giant American Reilly Opelka in straight sets to ease into the final, and he knows he will have to produce one last top effort to secure another Rome crown.
“It’s not an easy or beautiful match to play against a player like Reilly, who only gives you a few options on your return and he can also play quite aggressive from the baseline,” Nadal said after the match.
“He has good shots and it was important for me to save those breakpoints at the beginning of the match.
“The work is done. I think I did a lot of things well. I’ve had a good spirit the entire week and there are a lot of positive things I did on court.
“It’s important for my confidence to be back in such an important final, I will have a tough opponent but I need to be ready.
“I need to play my best tennis and that is what I am looking for.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner