“I will be super motivated” – Roger Federer provides fitness update and practice plans
Roger Federer says he is not even thinking about a return to the practice court yet as he doesn’t believe tennis is close to resuming.
Both the ATP and WTA have been suspended since early March as the world wrestles with coronavirus, and Federer has been away from the game even longer after undergoing knee surgery in February.
However, while many players are easing back into the practice routines, Roger Federer is adamant he sees no reason to at present.
“I am happy with my body now and I still believe that the return of the tour is a long way off,” Federer told Gustavo Kuerten in a live webchat.
“And I think it’s important mentally to enjoy this break, having played so much tennis.
“When I’m getting towards returning and have a goal to train for, I think I will be super motivated.”
Federer is also not getting any pressure from his coach Severin Luthi, who shares the Swiss’ lack of urgency.
“For Roger, it is not necessary to be hitting balls too much,” Luthi told Tennis Channel.
“The volley challenge that he put up on social media was more for fun. He is coming back from knee surgery. At the moment, there is no stress or pressure on him to practice.
“If the tournaments start again I think there is going to be enough time [to prepare].”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner