‘I was very nervous’ – Pavlyuchenkova reaches first Slam semi-final at Roland Garros
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova defeated Elena Rybakina in a three-set Roland Garros epic to reach her first Grand Slam semi-final.
The 31st seed beat the 21-year-old Kazakh 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 9-7 in two hours and 35 minutes in the French Open quarter-finals.
The 29-year-old Russian had reached the last eight of a major six times previously without being able to break through to the semi-finals.
“I played seven quarter-finals, so I feel a lot of emotion. It was a very good match today and I’m really happy to qualify,” Pavlyuchenkova said in her on-court interview.
“Always difficult to return Elena’s serve, even if I was a couple of times 0-30 at the end. I was very nervous this morning when I woke up because it’s always tough to play a friend and my doubles partner.
Worth the wait 🥰
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 8, 2021
“I live in France, during the match many people cheered for Elena but it helped me.”
When interviewer Fabrice Santoro said: “maybe next match you [the crowd] will cheer for her”, Anastasia replied: “no, no, no. It helps me like this [smiling].”
Pavlyuchenkova will play unseeded Slovenian Tamara Zidansek in the last four.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner