‘I was very excited to be out here’ – Serena Williams wins at French Open
Serena Williams progressed to the third round of the French Open after defeating Mihaela Buzarnescu 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 in a battle that lasted over two hours.
The 39-year-old American is still on track to win her 24th Grand Slam title which would put her level with Margaret Court.
“I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but I’m excited that I got through that. It was good competition, I was playing well and she was playing well. I feel like she was just hitting winners and the points were so long, it was kind of fun. It’s always good when you enjoy your job and you smile, which is rare for me, I love my job but I don’t smile on court much. I was very excited to be out here.” Williams said.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 2, 2021
Williams looked to be cruising to the third round after dominating the opening set 6-3, however Buzarnescu came firing back to force a decider. The American produced her best tennis of the match in the final set to take it 6-1 and setup a clash against compatriot Danielle Collins.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner