‘I was really scared’ – Sara Errani blasts umpire after Venus Williams suffers injury
Sara Errani said that the injury that Venus Williams sustained in their Australian Open match ‘scared her.’
Williams cried out in agony after appearing to badly twist her right ankle while 1-5 down in the opening set of their second round clash o Wednesday.
After a brief delay Williams limped back to her chair to seek medical attention, but the lack of help from the umpire has drawn the ire of Errani.
“I didn’t understand what she had in the beginning,” Errani told the press after the match.
“I was really scared because I was thinking I didn’t know what happened. I don’t know. I was scared. I was watching her.
“I was saying to the chair umpire that, ‘could anybody go to her?’, because I couldn’t. I was telling him to go, please go to her.
“I couldn’t understand really.”
Despite the injury, Venus Williams refused to retire hurt, although she failed to win another game and sank to a 1-6-0-6 defeat.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner