‘I was often too hard on Rafael Nadal,’ admits uncle and former coach Toni Nadal
Toni Nadal has admitted that he was possibly overly-tough on nephew Rafael Nadal, but he doesn’t regret it.
Rafael Nadal was coached by his uncle in his formative years and for much of his career before moving into the care of Carlos Moya in 2016.
Toni had a reputation for being the toughest of taskmasters, and it’s one that is well-founded according to the man himself.
“I think the best thing I did with Rafa was the demand I put on him.” Toni told the press in Mexico last week.
“He was a guy I always asked to do his best, be it in a European Championship or in daily training.
“It was more difficult for him to train with me than to win a tournament and in the end, that great daily requirement has allowed him to develop his potential to the maximum.”
Despite the demands he placed on his nephew, Toni Nadal believes it has been pivotal in Rafael Nadal becoming the player he has.
“It is obvious that he has become the best thanks to his talent and effort, but also his ability to work daily with tremendous commitment.
“I was difficult for him and I must admit that I was sometimes too hard.
“My methods: They were always aimed at asking him a little more and to make him feel the pressure and maximum demand.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner