‘I understand better than anyone,’ Boris Becker relates to Daniil Medvedev French Open struggles
Boris Becker says he can relate to Daniil Medvedev in terms of his struggles on clay, though said Medvedev will need to change his attitude towards clay tennis.
Despite winning six Grand Slams in his career, Becker failed to reach the final at the French Open and admitted he can understand Medvedev’s frustration.
However, despite Becker’s difficulties on the clay, the German said he still enjoyed playing on the surface, unlike Daniil Medvedev who regularly voices his hatred for the dirt.
“It will certainly be difficult to achieve success if you already say that you hate clay courts during the match. His results are accordingly.
“I can understand that better than anyone, even though I didn’t hate clay. I was looking forward to the spring and the tournaments in Monte-Carlo, Hamburg and Rome, but I wasn’t quite as good as on other surfaces.
“Still, I enjoyed playing on clay and won tournaments there in junior and doubles, but just not a big tournament in singles.”
Medvedev is the number two seed at the French Open despite having failed to win a match in Paris in his four previous attempts.
The Russian will face a tricky test against Alexander Bublik as he bids to reach the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner