‘I thought I played okay – Novak Djokovic was amazing’, says Kei Nishikori
Kei Nishikori reflected that he was just unable to stay with Novak Djokovic after he was dismantled by the world number one at the Tokyo Olympics.
The former world number four praised the “amazing” level the Serbian produced in the match, as well as the whole tournament and the “last couple months”.
Djokovic crushed the Japanese star 6-2, 6-0 in an hour and 12 minutes in the quarter-finals of the Olympic men’s singles event.
The 34-year-old will face fourth seed Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals in Tokyo as he continues his bid to win a first gold medal.
— ITF (@ITFTennis) July 29, 2021
“He was defending amazing today — everything deep — and I was trying to stay with him but I couldn’t,” Nishikori said in a post-match interview.
“I thought I was playing okay but my serving was bad today and he was attacking every [time]. The way he’s played today, this week and last couple months, it’s been amazing.”
World number 69 Nishikori defeated Rafael Nadal to claim a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner