‘I struggled but found a way to fight through’ – Matteo Berrettini advances in Rome
Matteo Berrettini spoke of the importance of playing well under pressure after edging past Nikoloz Basilashvili to reach the Italian Open second round.
The Rome-born 25-year-old won 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 against the big-hitting Georgian at the Masters 1000 event on Tuesday.
The world No. 9 – a finalist at last week’s Madrid Masters – saved three break points to hold for 4-3 in the third set, before converting a first match point for victory.
“Congrats to him, he played a really good match. I struggled, especially in the first set. But I found a way to fight through,” Berrettini told ATP Tennis TV.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 11, 2021
“(Playing your best when it matters most) is something really important in our sport. Finding the right energy and right motivations.
“Also to be calm enough, to not shake too much. To not think, to (not) get tight. Of course, the more you play the more you feel comfortable in tough situations.
“So playing so many matches in the last few weeks helped me a lot, but it’s something definitely I was looking for. You always want to be clutch in the important moments.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner