‘I really enjoy challenges like this’ Garin excited for Djokovic battle
Christian Garin arrived at Wimbledon having never won a match at The All England Club. He takes on World No. 1 Novak Djokovic for a place in the quarter-finals tomorrow.
Garin is the first Chilean to reach the fourth round of Wimbledon since Fernandez Gonzalez’s run to the last eight in 2005. The clay court specialist has five top 20 wins to his name, all have came on clay. However, Garin insists he has a game for all surfaces.
“I think what I have improved the most is that I feel I’m playing much more concentrated on every point. Obviously, I have a lot to keep improving. But now I am giving more importance to every single game of a match and valuing every moment.”
“This is not always easy, because I have played some very difficult and long matches, and you have to be at 100 per cent in every moment. But my concentration has improved a lot.” Garin said.
The 25-year-old is yet to face a member of ‘The Big Three’ at a Grand Slam. Djokovic has won five Wimbledon titles and will enter the match as a heavy favourite, although Garin is relishing the challenge.
“[I feel] happy, because I really enjoy facing these kinds of challenges. I think they will serve me well. I still have not played against any of the ‘Big Three’ at a Grand Slam, so I am pleased.”
“I’m very pleased with my week and now I’m only thinking of recovering physically. I take it calmly, I think these are the kinds of big matches that I enjoy playing. Results aside, I want to go out and give it my all, just as I’ve been trying to do all year.” he added.
The World No. 1 beat Denis Kudla in round three, while Garin edged past Spaniard Pedro Martinez in four sets.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner